Have you noticed air filters in your car? Wondering why they are necessary? Well, if you need the car’s engine to continue working well, the car air filters are imperative. However, you might undermine the need to maintain a clean car filter or to replace the filters when needed.
Regardless of whether you are on a budget or now, you should have a clear idea about these car air filters and why you need to invest in replacing or cleaning them when necessary.
We are here to guide you through all that you need to know about car air filters including their advantages and the to-dos for their maintenance.
What Is the Role of a Car Air Filter?
When talking about air filters for cars, the main task to define it with will be, as you can probably guess, filter and cleanse the air outside before it enters the engine of the car. This air is also used to combust with the fuel in the engine.
As a secondary function, the car air filter is also responsible to protect the engine of the car. The air that enters the vehicle is needed to be as pure as possible to prevent the machine’s engine from getting contaminated, or, in more serious cases, damaged. The filter, hence, acts as the first line of defense, preventing the reduction in efficiency of the engine.
Furthermore, the car air filter also helps to safeguard the carburetor or the fuel injection system. This is the system that injects the air/fuel mixture into the cylinders of the cars’ engines. The carburetor makes use of tiny valves to achieve this and whenever anything obstructs the passage, the car’s engine might malfunction.
We cannot forget the role of a car air filter in increasing the performance as well as the gas mileage of the car’s engines. Clean and pure air is likely to spark up the better performance of the cylinder, incrementing the combustion efficiency. You will be able to learn more about the role of these filters when you run down the Mobile Vehicle Mechanic Burnaby, CA.
3 Main Advantages to Changing Your Air Filter
The Cabin Filter Change in Burnaby, CA highlights quite a few advantages of changing your car’s air filter. 3 main pros in doing so can be summarized as:
- Increased fuel economy and efficiency of your vehicle- when you can filter the dirty air, your car’s fuel can perform more efficiently and accelerate better. You are likely to find your car struggling with the speed of acceleration when the air filter requires replacements. Your car’s engine requires proper airflow to perform well. When that cannot happen due to the accumulation of dirt, the gas mileage will decline.
- More durability of the engine: The air filter is responsible to look out for proper airflow throughout the engine. It can catch any dirt and debris that comes from the air outside. As the negative effect of such dirt can be prevented, the engine is less prone to wear and tear.
- More control on the emissions: If your air filter reaches the point where the regular flow of air to the car’s engine is blocked, the air/fuel balance of the car, besides the control on the emission system, is likely to become compromised. The engine will then lag to start.
How often should you change your cabin filter?
You need to aim a healthy distance before cleaning your car’s air filter every time. The recommended number is 15000 miles. Sometimes, as recommended by several Car Air Filter Repair Service Burnaby, CA or Replace Car Air Filter Burnaby, CA, your car’s user manual comes with a scheduled service. If you reside in a rural setting, you might have to do so more frequently. This is because in those surroundings your vehicle is more exposed to dirt and dust.
Even if you do not drive often, it is recommended to clean the air filter at least once every 12 months to ensure a good and efficient performance of the engine. When it comes to replacement issues, that should anyway be done every 3 years, given the fact that time makes the filter quite brittle and you should not wait for it to stop working altogether.
How to Cleanse Your Car’s Filter?
Though it might sound complicated, cleaning the car air filter is quite simple once you have a sound understanding of the positions of everything in the bonnet of your automobile. While there are several methods of cleaning this air filter, we have compiled an easy stepwise guide to help you.
- Find out where the air filter is: It is usually on the top of the car’s engine and hence, not difficult to reach. You can also explore your car’s manual if you struggle to locate it.
- Start with removing the air filter: the air filters come with either a metal or a plastic cover. You will need to remove the housing before taking out the filter. If you have a modern car, you can simply clip it down to easily remove it. Older models will need you to use screws to do so.
- You can use a vacuum cleaner to clean the air filter by connecting the hose to the standard cleaner. Both sides of the filter can be cleaned in a matter of minutes. You should hold the filter up to a light to check for any debris you might have missed.
- You may also use water to clean a filter that is too dirty, which is likely to take longer. You can use laundry detergent and submerge the air filter to remove any dirt or dust. You need to dry it using a clean cloth and leave it to completely be ready to be reused.
By now, you are well-informed about auto car repair system Burnaby, CA and car air filters and why you need to take care of them. It is your responsibility to keep a check on your car’s efficiency, and hence, clean and replace the filter when necessary.